How to Convert MBOX to PST – Free Methods
Presently, the MBOX file is the most popular file format that many email clients utilize for storing their mailbox items. For example Thunderbird, Mac Mail, Entourage, Eudora, Powermail, etc. In fact, there are several cases where users need to import MBOX to Outlook mail client version 2019, 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, or 2003. To do this, one needs to convert MBOX to PST (Outlook data file). Generally, it is due to work-related requirements that users prefer Outlook over MBOX email clients.
- Technical Introduction of MBOX and PST file formats
- A Free Method to Convert MBOX to PST for Outlook
- Automated Way to Convert MBOX to PST
Technical Introduction of MBOX and PST file formats
MBOX is a generic file format that comes in multiple variations such as mbx, mbox, mbs files. As a matter of fact, each email client uses a separate variation like Thunderbird makes use of MBOX files without extension, Apple Mail prefers the .mbox extension files, Opera uses .mbs files, etc. Here, one thing that remains common in each of them is that the storage is limited to emails and attachments.
However, PST files are the proprietary file format of Microsoft. In fact, it stores copies of messages, contacts, calendar events, and other items. Moreover, Microsoft software, for example, MS-Outlook, and MS-Exchange apps support PST file format. Overall, because of its usability and portability features, it is preferred over MBOX.
In addition to that, both the MBOX email clients as well as Microsoft Outlook do not provide any native facility for email transfer between them. Due to the technical implications of these email formats, users need to convert MBOX files to PST for accessing their emails in Outlook 2019, 2016, and 2013.
Try 100% Safe and Fast Way to Import MBOX in Outlook:
Free Method to Convert MBOX to PST for Outlook
Here, we will take advantage of a free email client i.e., Thunderbird as an intermediate to move MBOX files into Outlook PST. For this, you just have to follow these easy steps:
- Use Mozilla Thunderbird to Import MBOX File
- Convert Emails to EML Format
- Drag and Drop Files into MS Outlook
- Export Emails to PST file
#1 Use Mozilla Thunderbird to Import MBOX File
- First, download and install the Thunderbird email client. Configure it with any dummy or valid webmail account
- Now, go to the Tools menu and click on the Add-on option (Press the Alt key if the menu is hidden).
- Here, search for importexport in the search bar.
- Then, Click on Add to Thunderbird button corresponding to ImportExportTools NG.
- Here, hit the Install Now button to install this free add-on and restart the Thunderbird application
- Then, select Local folders in the mailbox list and go to Tools > ImportExportTools NG > Import mbox file.
- After that, proceed with the instructions and select the MBOX file(s) to import. You will see the imported MBOX file appearing under the Local Folders mailbox.
#2 Convert Emails to EML Format
There is no direct way to convert MBOX to PST for free. And this indirect method makes use of the EML format to complete the objective.
- Open the imported mailbox file and select all the emails that you want to convert to PST.
- Then, right-click on them and select the Save As option.
- Specify a location to save your emails as EML files. You will find all your emails in the selected folder.
#3 Drag and Drop Files into MS Outlook
- Create a new folder in Outlook 2019 interface. Now drag and drop all the saved EML files into this mailbox folder. All your emails should start appearing once the files are imported.
You will notice that Outlook does not preview some emails. There is nothing you can do about it. The only alternative to this free solution is to open EML files in Outlook by right-clicking on it one at a time and then, use “Move to” to move them to a Outlook folder. And that’s a really really long process.
#4 Export Emails to PST File
If you specifically desire PST files, you can use the native Import/Export feature of Outlook 2019 for this.
- Go to the File menu and select Open & Export > Import/Export.
- Then, select the Export to a file option and hit Next.
- Choose Outlook Data file(.pst) and again hit Next.
- After that, select the mailbox folder in which EML files were imported and hit Next.
- Provide a location to export the emails and click Finish.
- Finally, a PST file will appear at the selected location.
Reliable & Automated Way to Convert MBOX to PST
The manual method is quite a time-consuming and lengthy process for converting MBOX files into PST for Outlook. It could be a good approach if the user has to perform this conversion on less number of emails. Furthermore, users require to have technical knowledge of both Thunderbird and Outlook to succeed in this method.
Therefore, in order to avoid the drawbacks of the manual method, it is better to go for professional solutions. Such tools like SysTools MBOX to Outlook Converter offer a varied set of features that makes the MBOX to PST conversion process easier for users. Moreover, It allows users to select particular emails/files to convert into Outlook PST format. As a matter of choice, you can even filter out emails based on a date range.
The demo version allows to convert 25 emails per folder from MBOX to PST for free and preview all the emails along with attachments.
5 Steps to Convert MBOX Files to PST on Windows
- Step 1: Launch MBOX Converter and click “Add Files”.
- Step 2: Click “Next” and Import MBOX files into it.
- Step 3: “Preview” all the Emails and Attachments once the MBOX emails get scanned.
- Step 4: Set the Export type to “PST” and save the file at the desired location.
- Step 5: Import the PST file into Outlook with the free native option.
Import PST File in Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013
If you do not know how to import PST file into Outlook, then follow the steps given below:
- In MS Outlook 2019, go to File and select Open & Export > Import/Export
- Now, select Import from another program or file in the Import and Export wizard
- Then, choose the option Outlook Data file(.pst) and hit the Next button
- Afterwards, navigate and select the PST file that you wish to import into Outlook and apply other options as per preference. Click the Next button.
- Lastly, choose Import items to the current folder and click Finish.
- Now, all your data is successfully imported into MS Outlook 2019 in a matter of seconds.
Though manual methods to import MBOX to Outlook are free of cost and easily available, these are quite a time taking and tedious practices. In fact, it doesn’t matter which email client users are working with, moving its data into Outlook is not easy. So, in this article, we have discussed solutions corresponding to how to convert MBOX to PST for free. Here, we have also provided information about an automated MBOX Extractor that quickly transfers MBOX files to PST and import them into Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013. It’s equally important that you be sure to try the free trial version before deciding on anything!
1. Is there any manual way to convert MBOX files to PST for free?
Yes, there are free methods that can transfer your MBOX data to PST in Outlook. These are explained in the article with screenshots.
2. Are the given solutions applicable to all Outlook versions?
All the proposed methods are applicable to MS Outlook 2019, 2016, 2013, 2007, and 2003 versions.
3. Can I get a method that can convert MBOX emails without using Outlook?
Yes, of course. It is possible to export MBOX files to PST without the MS Outlook platform. All you need is a professional solution to get the job done.
4. Although I also want MBOX files in Outlook compatible format, I actually require MSG files. What method should I use?
5. Will I be able to export MBOX to PST on Mac OS?
The proposed free solutions are applicable for Windows PC only. However, you can easily convert Thunderbird files into Outlook PST using SysTools Mac MBOX Converter software. The process using the free demo version is given below.
Quick Steps to Convert MBOX to PST Free:
- Step 1: Launch MBOX to PST Converter.
- Step 2: Click “Add Files” to import MBOX files.
- Step 3: Choose “PST” as the Export type.
- Step 4: Click “Export” to convert MBOX to PST file.