Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery Export Tool: Checkout How it Works?
I was looking for a solution that let me export my Office 365 mailbox to PST format. At that point in time, I came to know about this eDiscovery Export tool by Microsoft itself. So, in order to achieve this Office 365 to PST export process, I decided to use this Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery export tool. But the problem is that I actually do not know how to run this application. I tried this process by myself also but failed at the initial stage only. I searched over the internet but did not find any perfect guide for the same.
After that, one of the colleagues guided me in the same and let me perform this Office 365 to Export process successfully. At that time, I decided to explain the whole procedure in simple terms to other users. It is because there can be many other users also who are looking for a stepwise manual procedure to use this eDiscovery tool like me. They must be having these two questions in their mind:
Query 1: What is Office 365 eDiscovery export tool?
Query 2: How it can be used to export PST file from Office 365?
To all such users, I would like to say just sit back and relax. Here is the answer to all your queries, simply go through the blog.
A Step-by-Step Method to Export Office 365 Mail to PST via eDiscovery Tool
As discussed above many users get stuck in between while using this eDiscovery tool. Therefore, I decided to explain a complete stepwise procedure to export PST from Office 365 account. But before that let me make you clear that this service is basically offered by Office 365 only to make the export process easy for the users. Now, to know how to use Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery tool, follow the steps mentioned below:
- First of all, you need to login into MS Office 365 account
- After that, simply expand Admin form left pane of the window to choose Exchange option
- Here, an EAC or Exchange Admin Center page will open. Choose Admin Roles option
- Then, you have to double-click on the Discovery Management option
- Now, the Role Group window will appear. Here, you have to choose Mailbox Import Export role and there click on Plus icon to add yourself as a member
- After performing all above steps carefully, click on the Save button
- Next, under the Compliance Management menu, you have to go to Exchange Admin Center again and click on the In-place eDiscovery & hold option
- Here, you need to click on the + sign and a new in-place eDiscovery & hold page will open. Enter all required details for eDiscovery export tool on that window
- Then, click on the Next button to continue the process
- Now, from the In-Place eDiscovery & Hold window you have to choose the mailboxes that you want to search or export and click on the Next button. You are also allowed to choose all mailboxes or certain mailboxes, its all depend on the choice of users
- After that, you can also select the Search Query that you want to search or export in the In-Place eDiscovery & Hold window
- Now, as you move on the to the next window and you see all options are highlighted it means Admin Permissions are not enabled. So, you need to review the permissions and Log out again from O365 account
- If there is no issue, you can continue the process by entering the text, which you want to search. Click on Next and then on the Save button
- After doing all this, the new in-place eDiscovery & hold page gets close and you are back on Exchange Admin Center page
- Finally, you can click on the Down Arrow icon and easily download Office 365 mail to PST format. As the tool launches, click on the Browse button to choose the destination location of resultant PST file
- You can easily view the live status of the eDiscovery tool and as the process completed successfully, a message will pop-up. Click on the Close button and come out of the export tool.
No doubt it is a proper manual method to export Office 365 to PST format. But according to me, it is not at all an easy process for any user to perform. One needs to be a technical expert to use this Office 365 eDiscovery export tool. However, the process is too long to execute completely without any expert help. So, if any user finds any other way of doing the same in the simplest way, then go for that. This process takes lots of time and if terminated in between due to any reason, need to be started again from the beginning.
Time to Conclude
If you are looking for some other alternative of Microsoft Office 365 eDiscovery Export tool, then here is one suggestion that you can try. Office 365 Export tool is one of the best applications that work really well in the same. It provides many advanced features also to perform the Office 365 to PST export process in a customized way also. So, its all depends upon you for which you want to go i.e., manual method or professional way for the same.