Use eDiscovery Tool to Export Office 365 Mailboxes to PST
“I work in an organization which is moving from Office 365 to another e-mail provider (Locaweb). The whole process to transfer Office 365 emails to PST is now on my head and I have no clue how to do that. I have come across an eDiscovery method but as I said I am a novice so don’t know about that also. Can anybody please provide me the complete export Office 365 mailbox to PST steps using eDiscovery. Or suggest me some other way to do the process.”
Like the above user, you too must have faced the same situation. Moving from Office 365 to another mail client can be a very difficult task as O365 does not provide any direct method to do so. There are many technicalities involved in the conversion process. For making it easy for you, we have come up with exceptional two methods to export Office 365 mail folders to PST.
Techniques to Import Mailbox from Office 365 to PST
There are two methods by which users can transfer O365 emails to PST
1. eDiscovery PST tool
2. MS Office 365 Export Software
We will be discussing each method with detailed steps. Before moving onwards, let us tell you about the eDiscovery Utility.
What is eDiscovery Software?
eDiscovery is a tool from Microsoft which is used to search & transfer mailboxes from Office 365 to PST. You need to go to the Exchange Online 365 Admin center and do the following steps to do the procedure.
Steps to Export Office 365 Mailboxes to PST using eDiscovery
- The first step is, Sign in to Office 365 service using your Microsoft credentials. Now, navigate to Exchange Online 365 Admin center to export PST mailboxes from Office 365 admin center
- In the Admin Center window, select the Security & Compliance option
- A new window will appear, now choose the Permission >> + icon from the Security & Compliance Center. Edit role group of eDiscovery Manager and set it to Export
- Hit on the + icon from the next window in order to add an account in the eDiscovery Administrator list. Finally, click on the Save button and continue
- Browse to the Search & Investigation center and choose + icon. After selecting that, search for the New Content Search panel. Input a name in the Name field then click on a Next button
- Choose Select Search Everywhere and Exchange option to import data of all mailbox from Exchange Online
- Use Custom location selection button to move only selective data. After that select + icon
- Choose Search all public folders option to move data from the Public folder
- Select Search option in order to start the search process
- Go for the required Options to filter Office 365 mailbox data items including emails, calendars, contacts, etc.
- After the successful completion of the search process, press the Start Export button
- You can also include encrypted files also. Finally, click on the “Start Export” button
- The export process is started. Two options are provided, “Finish” and “Export Download Report” according to their choice
- At last, an export key will be generated. Just copy that key for the next step.
- In the window, paste the new key and start the eDiscovery tool. All your Office 365 emails will be migrated to PST format
Limitations of the eDiscovery PST Export Tool
The above method is very lengthy and tedious. You need to be acquainted with some technical knowledge of Office 365 and PST. Even doing all this takes a lot of time and no guarantee of complete transfer of data to PST without any information loss. So, what can be done? Do not worry, we have another wonderful solution for you. Just read the next section.
Import Office 365 Mailboxes to PST using Office 365 Export Utility
To avoid the above disadvantages, use SysTools Office 365 Export tool to export PST from Office 365 Online without any hustle. The software provides additional feature to import Outlook online mailboxes to EML and MSG. The user can import Archive & In-place Archive emails also with specific dates.
Interesting Features of Office 365
- Convert O365 email to PST, EML & MSG
- Transfer Office 365 Archive Folder
- Date range filter to export selective data
- Option to Pause & Resume at any time
- Advanced Naming Techniques
- Provides Import Analysis & Progress Report
Steps using Office 365 Export Tool
- Download & Launch the Software
- Login with Office 365 credentials
- Click on “Export” to transfer mailboxes to PST
- Successful export of the mailbox to PST
Time to Wind Up
Exporting Office 365 mailboxes to PST using eDiscovery tool can prove to be worthless. Instead, use advanced utility to export Office 365 mailboxes to PST. Here, we discussed all the steps in detail. But it is completely your decision to opt for any tool according to your requirement.