When the size of Outlook PST file exceeds the maximum size limit, users face many problems such as data loss, data corruption, unable to open and close PST file, and more more. For reducing Outlook mailbox size, manage PST files and avoid all these problems, you must need to maintain PST file size limit. To do so, split large PST file into small files is the best solution. In this blog, we are going to show you the step by step method of how to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts. So, let’s start…
MS Outlook stores its all data in a PST file which is known as Personal Storage Table. Each version of Outlook has a different format. In Outlook 2002 and earlier versions, use ANSI (American National Standards Institute) format while Outlook 2003, 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 use UNICODE format.
What is Outlook PST File
The size limit of PST file is
different in all Outlook versions. Below we described the PST size
In Outlook 2002 and earlier
versions, you can only save data up to 2 GB.
The Outlook 2003 and 2007
maximum size limit is 20 GB.
In Outlook 2010, 2013, 2016,
2019 the file size is limited to up to 50 GB which can be increased
or decreased by applying changes to the Windows registry settings.
to Check Size of Outlook Mailbox?
Follow the below steps to find out the size of your mailbox to split Outlook PST file into smaller parts:
In the Mail view, click your account.
2. Click Folder >> Folder Properties.
3. Click Folder Size at the bottom.
4. Now, you will see the size of the mailbox.
Need to Split Outlook PST File into Smaller Parts?
There are many reasons behind
splitting PST files into multiple small files. Some of them are as
The large size of PST file slow down the performance of Outlook and may cause data corruption or loss problem.
Outlook stops storing data items when the PST file exceeds its maximum size limit so it is required to manage PST file size limit.
Oversized PST file is the main cause of PST file data inaccessible or corruption. Thus split large PST file into smaller parts is the best method to reduce PST file size.
Manual Techniques to Split PST File Free in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010
Unluckily, there is no inbuilt utility or feature in Outlook for splitting PST files. However, we found some freeways that can help to divide large size PST files.
1: Use Import/Export Option to Manage Large Size PST File
With the help of following
steps you are able to truncate PST file in Outlook:
Click on the File tab >> Account Setting >> Account Settings.
2. Click Add button under the Data Files tab.
3. Enter File Name and Save types as Outlook Data File (.pst) and click OK.
4. The new PST file is created successfully.
5. Now, again click on the File >> Open & Import >> Import/Export.
6. From the Import and Export Wizard, select Export to a file option and click Next.
7. In Export to a file window, select Outlook Data File (.pst) option and click Next.
8.Select the folder to export from and check Include subfolders option.
9. Browse to select PST file and check the Do not export duplicate items checkbox. Click Finish.
10. You can set a password for exported PST file or simply cancel it if you want.
2. Split Outlook PST File into Smaller Parts With Move to Folder
is the 2nd
method for splitting PST
files. Follow the mentioned
steps to proceed:
In Outlook, Click File >> Account Setting >> Account Setting.
2. Click on the Data File tab and click Add button to add a new PST file.
3. Now, go to Home, click Move button and select Copy to Folder.
4. Select the PST file so that all the selected items can move to a new file.
5. In the end, delete the copied items from the default PST file to reduce PST file size.
3: Use Archive Feature for Reducing Outlook Mailbox Size
This feature can also help you
to divide large size PST file by following the step by step process:
Launch Outlook, Select File >> Info >> Tools >> Clean Up Old Items.
2. Select the folder to archive and choose a date in Archive items older than section. Click Browse to save archive file to the selected location and click OK.
& Disadvantages of Manual Methods to Truncate PST File
There are some limitations
using manual tricks to split oversized PST files. Some of them are-
Time-taking and lengthy
process for the users.
Lots of chances of data loss
Required technical expertise
to perform the task.
Does not reduce PST file size
properly or according to your need.
Ever Technique to Split Outlook PST File into Smaller Parts
To overcome all the limitations and problems of reducing Outlook mailbox size using the manual method, you can easily go with the professional too i.e. SysTools Split PST Software. It is one of the best and high rated tool that is able to split large PST file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007, and other versions.
Here are the Steps to Truncate PST File:-
Step 1. Download and launch the PST Splitter software.
Step 2. Click the Split option from the top.
Step 3. Select Outlook format and Split option: Split by Size, Date, Year & Folder.
Step 4.Browse to select PST file and select size of PST file according to your need.
Step 5. Select the desiredfolder location to save the output and click Next.
Step 6. Click on the Split button to proceed.
the process is done. Go to
the selected location and review the PST files.
Here, we mentioned the
multiple manual techniques to split Outlook PST file into smaller
parts step by step. Manual process has some limitations and not
completely safe, therefore we also mentioned software fix. The
software is able to split large PST file by size, date, folder and
year. It helps you to split oversized PST and corrupted files without