Whenever Microsoft releases a new version of Office, several mistakes are carried along and also occur under new versions again and again. Same is the case for PST corruption. Even though both the handling and the appearance of the ScanPST application installed with Outlook have hardly changed since Outlook 2000, and the usage is still simple. This blog is committed to providing guidance for Outlook 2016. For advanced users, the existing manuals would certainly be enough, however, the beginner will struggle with it now. Therefore, each manual is included in steps, if possible, so that it should also be possible for a newcomer to be able to follow the steps of repairing the corrupt PST file.
This is how to repair Outlook 2016’s Personal
In order to be able to repair a faulty Outlook 2016 PST file, no
prior knowledge is necessary. The only hurdle could be finding the
path to the saved Outlook 2016 PST file. How to do this is described
step by step:
Start Microsoft Outlook 2016> right-click My Outlook Data File> Data File Properties> Advanced -> File. The data file listed under File, therefore, stores the data. Note (or copy) the path, because you will need it later.
If you use Outlook 2016 as your default e-mail program to save your e-mails, messages, contacts, appointments, tasks, and notes to your PC, you will use PST files. To avoid losses, you should know how to repair and restore this file. The required tool ScanPST for repairing is installed when installing Outlook 2016. This article applies to ScanPST and describes how it can be used to repair and recover the data created and managed by Outlook in the event of corruption.
The procedure is the same regardless of whether you have loaded
the ScanPST using the Fix it solution for Outlook at Microsoft or if
you have found the file on the hard disk.
Download the Inbox Repair Tool from Microsoft
Microsoft recommends using the Fix it solution to repair the .pst
Download Microsoft Fix it 20101 for Outlook 2013, 2016 &
To be able to automatically repair a faulty PST file, it is first necessary to download the Fix it solution for Outlook 2016. After completing the download process, click the MicrosoftFixit20101.mini.diagcab file to start troubleshooting and follow the steps in the Outlook 2016 Fix it wizard.
If the failed .pst file was not automatically repaired using the
Fix-it tool, then manually start the Inbox Repair tool. How to do
this is described step by step in the next section.
Manually start the inbox repair tool
If Outlook 2016 is used on a 32-bit version of Windows:
If Outlook 2016 is used on a 64-bit version of Windows:
%ProgramFiles(x86)%\ Microsoft Office\Office16\ScanPST.exe
When Outlook 2016 Click to Run is used as part of Office 365:
%ProgramFiles(x86)%\ Microsoft Office\root\Office16\ScanPST.exe
Repair the PST file with the Inbox Repair tool
1. Use the browse function to find the Outlook Personal Folders file (see path of the Outlook data file above) that you want to scan, check and repair.
2. If you want to change the options for logging errors during the review, click Options. It will then be saved in the same directory as the PST file.
3. The log file is stored in the same directory as the Outlook 2016 PST file. So click on Start. Before that, you should have closed Outlook 2016.
4. When the review of the PST file is complete, select the “Back up the scanned file before repair” check box. This will ensure that a backup of the current Outlook 2016 PST file is created before the repair .
5. Now click on Repair button.
6. If the PST file has been successfully repaired, it will be displayed in a message such as “The repair is complete“.
Repeat the steps until the “Repair Inbox” application
displays the message “No errors were found in this file” or
“In this file, only insignificant inconsistencies were found
that do not necessarily need to be resolved. If the repair was
successful, you’re done. If not, then you should replace the damaged
PST file with a working PST file.
How to do that will be described below.
This allows the backup copy to be used as a new
Start Outlook 2016.
From the File menu, click Data File Management.
Select the damaged .pst file, and then click Remove.
Click Add, choose Personal Folder File (.pst).
Click OK, and then select the PST file to use as the
new primary file.
For recovering the Outlook 2016 PST file in case of errors, do not
rely solely on the ScanPST application. To effectively prevent data
loss, the PST file must be backed up regularly. Creating backup files
is possible by copying the file to another directory or making copies
of all files stored on the PC.
Repair the Corrupt PST file with the PCVITA
1. Download & Install theOutlook PST Repair tool. You can try out the free version before purchasing a software license for a tiny fee. Click on the “Add File” button to proceed.
2. Now you can either “Browse” and add the PST files or use the “Search” feature to locate the PST file on your system. Later, choose the “Advanced Scan” mode to allow a deep analysis of the faulty PST file. Click on the “Next” button.
3. The software will scan the corrupt PST file and repair it at the same instant. All the data that is successfully restored will be visible in the software interface. You can check the mailbox items within the tool.
4. Now simply click on the “Export” button at the top and a new window with customizable options will appear before you. Here select “PST” to create a healthy Unicode PST with all repaired data and select the location to save the PST file.
Apply other settings as per preference. Finally, click on the “Export” button to repair and restore Outlook 2016 PST file.
How the Inbox Repair Tool
ScanPST discovers and corrects errors in
most cases in the internal data structures of PST files. A PST file
is a database file. Therefore, structures such as BTrees and
reference counters are reviewed and repaired as needed. These
lower-level objects are unaware of the upper-level structures such
as news, calendar items, and so on.
ScanPST examines each folder of the PST file
and does the following:
ScanPST ensures that the folders are
assigned the correct tables.
ScanPST checks each row in each table and
makes sure that the message or subfolder exists in the system.
If ScanPST can not find the message or
subfolder, ScanPST removes the row from the table.
When ScanPST finds the message or
subfolder, ScanPST checks the message or folder.
If the verification fails, the message or
folder is considered corrupted and removed from the table and
deleted from the database.
If the validation completes successfully,
ScanPST performs another analysis to ensure that the now recovered
values of the message match the values in the table. Damaged folders
will be rebuilt from scratch if necessary. These folders contain no
Why the PST Repair Tool is More Preferable?
This software has advanced features that allow it to repair and restore multiple PST files at once. It ensures that each and every section of the file is thoroughly scanned for any errors that are also rectified at the same instant. Some of its major benefits are:
It can repair Outlook 2016 PST file as well as supports
corrupt PST file of Outlook 2019, 2013, 2010, 2007 & 2003.
It recovers damaged Outlook file irrespective of the
corruption level (minor or major).
It supports repair of all PST items including emails,
contacts, tasks, notes, calendars, and journals.
It previews all the recoverable items which can be restored
selectively or all at once.