Export Outlook Contacts to vCard Format & Broaden Its Compatibility
Summary: Struggling with the idea of how to export Outlook contacts to vCard? In this blog, we have described two strategies that you can adopt to execute the task swiftly.
MS Outlook is amongst the top email platform being used owing to the various options Microsoft has integrated into it. It is not only used for communication purposes, but also for personal data management, which is why it is popularly known as Personal Information Manager.
However, the few limitations imposed on Outlook regarding the accessibility of its data file and export options, and more have put the client in limelight for its flaws as well. Nevertheless, Outlook still is counted amongst the best of email clients but somehow requires external help to get a few things done that it is not capable of doing on its own.
For instance, Outlook contacts are easy to be shared with other applications/clients or even devices. This is because, the client supports exporting its contacts as vCard format files which are amongst the most versatile contact storing file types supported not only by a variety of applications but even devices like; smartphones, PDA’s, and more.
Also Read: How to Export Outlook Address Book to VCF?
Export Outlook Contacts to vCard: The Barrier
Despite the procedure being extremely convenient, users trying to export Outlook contacts to vCard are confronted with troubles. You can very much convert Outlook contacts to vCard files without any external help. However, the only condition is that the process must be carried individually for each contact.
Therefore, users end up having third-party tools as the last resort. When referring to third-party applications, the vCard Export tool plays an important role in the respective category. The application acts as a suitable platform to carry out the procedure.
Read: Export Outlook Address Book to VCF
Convert Outlook Contacts to vCard with vCard Export
The software is a boon in the industry for users with similar requirements. Mostly the requirement is targeted towards a particular set of users for respective purposes, i.e.:
- General Users: Users working on Outlook for a long time with all contacts maintained within its address book. This set of users usually requires it because vCard type files are easily available and once converted, the contact can further be shared easily with others when needed.
- Business Users: Businesses are all about contacts – making and sharing contacts. However, when it comes to sharing contacts, technical issues may stumble upon causing the user to go for an external solution.
Free Download Purchase Now
Step 1: First, select the file individually or in bulk (folder selection) from which contacts need to be extracted. Otherwise, the respective Outlook profile can itself be detected for contact conversion.
Step 2: The tool will scan the files and provide a preview of the contacts found within the selected profile along with all the fields.
Step 3: Later, the contacts can be extracted as a combined vCard file or a vCard file for each contact respectively, as per the requirement. The output can then be saved at the location of the user’s choice.
Step 4: Now click on the Export button and save the process report in CSV format.
Quite simple, right?
You can use this resultant file for many purposes. vCards are ideal for sharing contacts from one Outlook account to another or to any other email client or device as well.
The same procedure can be performed manually as well but it has its own limitations. First, let’s discuss how you can do it manually.
How to Export Outlook Contacts to vCard Manually?
As already mentioned, MS Outlook does not provide any direct method to export contacts from Outlook to vCard. Exactly why most of the professionals go for automated software. To continue it manually, you will have to convert them into CSV format and then into VCF. Perform the below-given steps to know-how:
- Launch Outlook and click on File in the top-left corner
- Click on Open & Export>> Import/Export
- Then choose Export to a File>> Next
- Choose CSV format and click on Next button
- Choose the contacts folder you wish to export
- Provide a location on your system to save the file
- At last, map the custom fields and click on Finish
A CSV file out of your Outlook contacts has been created. Now, you will have to convert them into the VCF format.
- Go to C:/ Users/ Admin / Contacts
- Click on the Import button present in the top menu
- Choose CSV>> Import. Browse the CSV file
- Map the fields and click on Finish
A .contact file has been created. You will further have to change it into the VCF file.
- Click on Export>> vCard
- Choose a location to save the file>> done
You have successfully executed the job to export Outlook contacts to vCard
Limitations of the Manual Method:
- The process is very long as compared to the automated solution
- You will require Outlook installed in your system for this method to work. The automated solution on the other hand works without Outlook as well.
- The chances of corrupting your contact file increase manifolds while doing it manually
- The probability of error is higher in the second method.
Related: Import Contacts from Outlook to eM Client
In this article, you learned about two ways to export Outlook contacts to vCard. The application recommended above avails multiple other options to transfer your source files in addition to Outlook contacts to vCard export process. This adds up to the benefit of having the tool as the users are provided more than just one output formats, i.e. more than one platform to get Outlook contacts transferred.
You can easily use this tool to export your files in eight more formats. The results provided are 100% accurate and easy to achieve.