The Operation Failed Error in Outlook | Know the Reasons & Fixes
The operation failed error in Outlook is one of the most annoying and asked queries by Outlook users on various forums sites. Now, if you are in the same situation, then this is the right place for you. Here in this blog, we are going to discuss some of the techniques to fix the operation failed error in Outlook.
But before going toward the troubleshooting techniques first, let’s understand why this error occurs in Outlook
Why does The Operation Failed Error Occur?
Well, there are several reasons are responsible for this error but here in this section, we are going to discuss some of the major ones.
- The first reason that is responsible for this error is the misconfiguration of the Outlook profile. This is mostly a human error.
- The next reason for this error is PST corruption which usually occurs due to an oversized Outlook mailbox.
- Some of the antivirus or malware software is also responsible for the operation failed error in Outlook.
Manual Fixes for The Operation Failed Error in Outlook
Let us know what manual tricks can help to resolve this error and make Outlook work again.
- Check for Compatibility Settings
- Disable Anti-virus Scanner
- Repair Microsoft Office
- Repair the data file
#Fix 1: Check for Compatibility Settings
The first free troubleshooting technique you can try is to check the Outlook compatibility settings. Because this error also arises if the compatibility mode in Outlook is enabled. Now to check it follow the below steps:
1. First, click the start button and type outlook.exe in the search box.
2. Now, right-click on the displayed program and choose the Open file location.
3. Right-click on OUTLOOK.EXE and then select the Properties option.
4. After that switch to the Compatibility tab and check whether the checkbox against
5. Now, if the compatibility mode is selected, then make sure to unselect it and then click on OK.
6. Once the task is done restart the Outlook application and check if the error issue is resolved.
#Fix 2: Disable Anti-virus Program
As we said above some of the external antivirus applications may affect Outlook’s performance resulting in the operation failed error in Outlook. Basically some of Anti-virus scan all the emails in Outlook as it could be the reason for the slow processing of emails and ultimately for the error. So to fix that simply turn off the email scanner option from your antivirus application.
# Fix 3: Repair Microsoft Office
Sometimes Microsoft Office creates error due to the wrong installation. So, the manual repair of the Microsoft Office program could also help here. Now to repair the Microsoft Office program just follow the below steps.
1. Press the Windows button + R alphabet to open the Run dialogue box. After that type appwiz.cpl in the Run box
2. Now, right-click the Microsoft Office edition and select the Change option.
3. After that click on Yes to continue
4. Select one of the repair options quickly or online and click on OK.
5. Once the process is done restart your Outlook application and try accessing emails again.
# Fix 4: Repair the Data File
As earlier mentioned, PST corruption is the major reason for this Outlook error. So, it is advised to the users to repair the Outlook file> Now the best part is that you can use Inbox Repair Tool which is also known as scanPST.exe.
Note: Location Of Scan PST – C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office15.
- Once you find the exe file double click on the exe file to open the ScanPST.exe
- Click on the Browse button to add the PST file
- Now, click on the Scan option to start scanning the file.
Note: Make a backup of the PST file before performing its repair by selecting the checkbox and providing the saving path for the backup file. Click Repair.backup of PST file
After a while, the repair process gets completed after which you can try restarting Outlook to check for the issue.
Note – This manual PST repair method repairs minor corruptions in PST files that too up to 2 GB only. And users may require to run this utility multiple times to fix complete errors in the Outlook PST file.
If the Corruption is High, use Another way to repair file
As you see ScanPST.exe is neither able to repair highly corrupted data nor works on large files. Now, due to these limitations, ScanPST is not the perfect solution. Hence considering the requirement here in this section we are going to introduce one of the perfect solutions to repair the data file.
Choose the best PST repair tool that can resolve any Outlook-related issue with any hassle. The software delivers instant repair and exports repaired PST data in different file formats. The tool is also capable to recover permanently deleted items from Outlook.
The best part is that you can test this tool for free by downloading its demo version. Once you are satisfied with the tool, then get the license.
Outlook is full of annoying errors, and one such error is the operation failed error in Outlook. Now. to resolve this error here in this blog we have discussed the best techniques. So. go through the write-up and resolve the error by yourself.