Export Hotmail Emails to Hard Drive – A Necessity for Backup
Keeping data stored on your hard drive is pretty important now. You will be given the solution to export Hotmail emails to hard drive and the reasons for doing so will be explained.
The fact that a lot of incidents of virus attacks, hacking, malware & ransomware attacks, etc. have been taking place frequently is popular. This is one reason for which you should keep your data saved on your hard drive so that you have access to it at all times.
We all have been targeted with data loss at one point and it is a known fact that getting it back is not easy and not possible in most cases.
This is why you should backup Hotmail emails to hard drive and be safe every time.
Because no matter how safe your email service provider is, there is always the risk of cyber-crime. You can move your data to other various desktop email clients such as Outlook, Thunderbird, Mac Mail, etc.
Now, the question here is; How to save emails to local drive?
Well, that is not a difficult task. It can be done easily by following just a few steps. However, the method for the same should be correct if you want a simple procedure.
Read the entire blog to know how!
What Methods Export Hotmail Emails to Hard Drive?
There is one free method that can be manually performed and there is an intelligent way out which is the Hotmail Backup Wizard. It is an amazing software especially built to migrate emails to local storage of a user.
The free method is also useful, but not for multiple emails as it can be performed for each email separately.
You will find a few limitations of the manual method that may not be as helpful to backup Hotmail emails to hard drive in your case.
We will be mentioning all the limitations after explaining the process for clarity to the users.
Free Method to Save Emails to Hard Drive
This technique can be applied directly from the Hotmail account. But remember, that with this method, you can only save a few emails as it is a lengthy one.
You cannot directly download the emails so here is a step-guide for saving the data.
- Login to you Hotmail account and open the email you want to backup.
- To export Hotmail emails to hard drive, you have to click on the Down Arrow under the Message Header Area.
- Choose the View Message Source option from the list.
For Windows OS:
- Press the Ctrl + A keys simultaneously to highlight the whole text and press Ctrl + C to copy it all.
For Mac OS:
- You have to hit the Command + A keys to highlight the entire text and hit Command + C for copying it.
Now, we will see if the data can be saved in EML format or not.
Steps to Backup Hotmail Emails to Hard Drive Via Conversion
Once you have the text copied, you have to check if your browser allows you to directly save the emails as EML file:
- Click on the File tab and press the Save As option.
- Enter the name of the file as per your need and give the extension as .eml. (For ex: test_message.eml).
- Mostly browsers only allow .html or .htm extensions when saving data.
- Hit Continue to save the message at your desired location.
What If You Can’t Export Hotmail Emails to Hard Drive Through Direct Conversion?
If that is the case, follow the given steps:
- You can launch a plain text editor like Notepad.
- Create a text document and paste the copied message source code in there by hitting the Ctrl + V option in Windows OS.
Press Command + V in Mac OS.
- Then, save the document and set the extension as .eml and save the data. (For ex: test_message.eml).
This already seems like a lengthy solution and has certain drawbacks as described in the upcoming segment.
Barriers of Manual Approach to Backup Hotmail Emails to Hard Drive
The above described method is a great alternative but its feasibility doesn’t allow the benefit of saving a lot of emails to local drive. It is because the messages can be saved one at a time.
Having to perform the given steps each time for each message is not something users may want to consider.
Which is why, we have a method which can download your emails to your desired path without doing much.
Alternative to Manual Approach and A Smart Way Out
As mentioned in the beginning, the software to export Hotmail emails to hard drive is the easiest approach that can be used.
If you are a Mac OS user, you can use the following links to download the software on Mac machine.
The software allows users to export their data selectively with the help of various filters available.
You can use the Date-Filter to save the data from your mailbox according to a certain time-period. Selecting the dates in the “from” and “to” fields will set a specific duration to export the data from.
Let’s take a look at the steps of the tool.
How to Backup Hotmail Emails to Hard Drivee Using the Tool?
1. Download and run the software. Fill in the details for your Hotmail account and click on the Login button.
2. Choose the file format as per requirement and click on the Browse button to navigate for the destination of the exported files.
3. Go to the Delete after Download tab to remove the exported data from your mailbox. Hit Yes when asked for confirmation.
4. Then, you can set the dates in the Date-Filter where you can be reached by hitting the Apply filter button.
5. Export Hotmail emails to hard drive by clicking on the Start button.
If you have any email received during or after the backup operation, you can choose to export only those emails from your mailbox. That can be done by running the tool again and marking the Incremental Backup option.
The mailbox can then be scanned for these emails and the founded data will be exported to your chosen location.
The reasons for saving the data are explained and the methods for the same are also here. It is not a difficult process to export Hotmail emails to hard drive using both the manual method and the software.
Users have the option to go for the solution they think is suitable for them and their situation.