How To Extract Data from Disk Image File Quickly?
“I am working in an organization consists of various departments and I am a member of the Forensics team. Recently, my team assigned a secondary storage device that contains many important shreds of evidence of a criminal case. I tried but I am unable to open and read any file because all files are stored in disk image file format. Can anyone suggest me a suitable approach to extract data from Disk Image File on Windows OS?”
Are you also getting the same problem while extracting disk image file? Then, you are not the only one. In fact, there are many people who face the same problem. Now, the question arises how one can easily open and view the content of disk image file? Thus, in this blog, we are going to introduce a smart and trustworthy solution to extract data from disk image file in a clear way.
What are Disk Image Files and Its Uses?
Disk image file is a copy of all data on a storage device such as floppy disk, hard disk, optical disk, or USB flash drive. This is often created by a sector-by-sector replication of the original storage device, which includes structure and contents. Moreover, the disk image of hard drive may be stored as a virtual hard disk (VHD). It also helps to maintain all properties of its source files and folders. There is no size limitation when it comes to Disk Image Files as it stores entire disk content.
Advantages of Creating Disk Image Files
Extraction of data from disk image is very important these days. Thus, disk image file is a handy device, which helps to save important information. Some of the advantages are listed below:
- Recovery ensures that your lost data is safe.
- Best way to keep your crucial data secure.
- Resizing of individual partitions of many file systems.
- Creating exact replicas of content of one Hard Drive/Volume
Three Types of Disk Image Files
Disk image files are of different types but some of them are mainly used for forensic purpose. These files are mainly preferred because of their secured nature and help to recover data from disk image file. Some of them are mentioned below:
- E01 File: This file extension is recognized as “Encase Image File” and they are created on Windows Platform.
- DMG File: DMG files are created on MAC X Operating System. These files use extension .dmg
- DD File: Linux Operating System is supported for creating DD Files. The extension used for such files are .001
Best Method to Extract Disk Image File
There are many solutions available to extract data from disk image file. Amongst all, one of the best applications is Disk Image Viewer. This tool provides the functionality to open and view disk image files including E01,DD & DMG file on different platforms. The best part of this tool is that it can restore deleted data from a disk image file on Windows machine
Benefits of Using Disk File Image Viewer
- Open & Analyze Disk Image File: You can load, scan and read all disk image files including DMG, E01 and DD without any size limit. Using Disk Image Viewer, one can directly open all data items stored in it.
- Offers Advance Search Feature: This software equips searching option that allows the user to search for a specific file by typing its name in search field. Also, it facilitates date-range filter in which file comes under a particular range only.
- Recover Deleted Disk Image File: This tool is capable enough to recover lost or deleted disk image file. Moreover, the software provides instant preview of all deleted files marked as red within the software pane.
- Preview Data of disk Image File: Once scanning is done, it allows to preview all items stored along with its attributes like file name, file size, etc. It has a user-friendly interface that even a non-tech user can use it without expert help.
A Step-by step Guide to Open and Extract Data from Disk Image File
1. First of all, you need to launch Disk Image Viewer application.
2. Go to open button and select any file format i.e., E01,DMG,DD as per your need.
3. In the next step, click Browse>> Scan to proceed further.
4. After successful scanning of the file, you can view the contents of selected Disk Image File.
Backup plays a very important role to store crucial information for future use. However, there is no manual approach to extract data from disk image file. Therefore, in the above section, we have suggested a remarkable solution named as Disk Image Viewer tool. It is designed in such a manner to extract all data from disk image file efficiently. Also, we have explained the complete working steps of the tool along with its amazing features.