Email Forensics – An Art of Extracting and Examining Email Evidence
Generally, a bunch of Email forensics investigators engrosses themselves in the practice of analyzing and gathering data related to e-mail investigation.
Most organizations have precise e-mailing policies implemented. However, sometimes it is not enough to prevent the e-mail from being violated. This, in turn, gives rise to the need for proper monitoring and investigation of the emails which is best handled best by email forensics. This study of email messages helps to investigate suspected e-mail accounts to gather evidence for prosecuting a criminal in front of legal authorities.
How to Extract Email Data Scientificaly?
Some forensicators favor reading emails from the bottom while some of them prefer to read them from the top down. However, the best thing to do is to just go through the header section, where all the crucial information is placed by the MUA (mail user agents). Any email forensics expert’s first attempt is to use the metadata to understand what kind of activities took place in the e-mail(s). Unfortunately, metadata fields don’t always reveal the expected results, as they can be hidden, manipulated, or made inaccessible by the suspect. Criminals make an effort to purge/tamper the metadata, with the intention of covering their tracks.
A number of portions in an email, if investigated properly can ease the task of examining emails for investigators or technocrats to a large extent. These portions act like artifacts in a case as they hold potential pieces of evidence, a few of them are; the email header forensics, email metadata forensics, email spoofing forensics, the hexadecimal value of an email, email hop path, properties of an email, etc. Many tools are available online with advanced features to target such artifacts and make the procedure of evidence extraction easier.
Is there a Solution to Do Email Forensics Effortlessly in a Scientific Way?
Yes, there is. SysTools introduced an efficient and precise solution to scientifically examine, analyze, evaluate, and study email messages in a deeper and wider level. One of the best Email Forensics Software, called MailXaminer available, and used globally. This Forensics evidence examiner tool helps forensicators to read and extract email messages and gather crucial information. If you need to investigate email messages or if you are a Forensic Data Extractor, then get the free demo edition of the application as a part of Software Introduction by SysTools.
Request Demo Tool
Basic Merits of this Email Investigation Tool
- Analyze Calendar data item
- Option to search Subsets in deep
- Decrypt SMIME / OpenPGP Email
- Email Data sort and filter option
- Support multiple email file format
- Logical operators for powerful search mechanism
- Image analysis using AI
- Tagging of email messages
- Option for case management
- Multi Language support of software
- Multiple email data saving options
What Benefits Do These Artifacts Hold?
There is lot more benefit that can be provided by real and efficient forensics tool. This tool has many advanced functions that make it extraordinary.
- Advanced Link Analysis To detect the relationship between multiple emails connected together.
- Timeline Analysis To display frequency of emails by Year, Month & Day in a Graphical Structure.
- Word Cloud Analysis A visual representation of the frequency of words used within the email message.
- Geolocation Image Mapping To track image location information like Latitude, Longitude & Altitude.
- Entity Analysis To find words in an email, specifically location oriented (Country, State, etc.) with its usage frequency.
- Advanced OCR (Optical Character Recognition) To search image content or keywords from attached files in email.
- Skype Database Analysis To find direct/indirect communication via calls, chats, etc.
To know more benefits of the Scientific email forensics tool, see the following section. Email Extraction is a very complex task that needs lots of precision and professionalism. See, what is the additional information to be checked while doing Email Analysis in a wider range.
Proffessional Email Extraction and Investigation
- If an investigator needs basic information of an email like at what time it was sent or received or the kind of content within for that purpose a normal view of the email would work, that describes the email content along with its properties and metadata cc, bcc & date-time information.
- To ascertain if any email data or header information has been compromised with or manipulated by the suspect, its hexadecimal coding can be checked. This way the binary format of emails can be viewed and analyzed for an investigator to easily catch the changes as well as do the mapping of character from hex code.
- With the advancement in the technology sector, additional types of information in email messages increase the workload for forensicators. Currently, most messages support MIME version, studying which may reveal a lot about the suspect email. Examining the header part of the email is the probable way to reach such information including; MIME version; message ID, content type, To, Bcc, From, Sender address, etc.
- As each and every section of email stores strong shreds of evidence, taking a look at the path followed by an email to reach a mailbox helps reveal directed gateways, router, and switches which helps in studying the entire path of an email from source to destination.
How Commercial Tools Help In Email Forensics?
Commercial utilities available for evidence analysis to be performed on emails increases forensicators chances of optimizing their study with facilities like; examination of different sections in an email, searching for a particular set of conversation, fetching the attachments, etc. In addition to that, as part of an investigation, a forensicator cannot skip following the basic stages of performing email forensics analysis which includes; documentation, analysis, reporting, etc.
Also, external tools offer evidence export facilities to fulfill the need of reporting the investigation in the form of evidence carved out in a case. Further, this exported output can also be used by an investigator to share copies of potential pieces of evidence with fellow investigators for a cross-check and feedback on them.
Thus, commercial programs play a vital role in conducting email forensics examination in an organized and accurate manner. No matter how proficient an investigator is speed along with precision during an email examination can be attained using commercial tools only.